Diseases of the lower limbs attack modern man at almost every stage.
What are varicose veins?
Let's take a closer look at what varicose veins in the legs are. Varicose veins in the legs are a fairly serious disease, the main signs of which are the loss of elasticity of the veins, their curvature and stretching. In addition, many other undesirable factors also have a negative effect on the vessels, which leads to their weakening, and the blood in the lower extremities begins to stagnate.
The venous system of the lower extremities is under increasing stress and the valves of the veins begin to malfunction. This leads to rapid fatigue, pain and swelling in the legs. Subsequently, the symptoms of the disease of the veins of the lower extremities begin to show effects visible to the naked eye, for example, a kind of "spiders". If you do not react, the disease can lead to quite serious complications of varicose veins of the lower extremities.
The danger of varicose veins of the lower extremities is also that it is extremely difficult to identify it in the early stages. The early stages of the disease do not come with easily identifiable symptoms, but if you begin to experience leg pain, fatigue, and cramps, you need to take prompt action to prevent lower extremity venous disease.
In the event that a "mesh" of vessels is already visible on the legs, which will become more and more pronounced over time, it is necessary to take urgent measures to treat CVD. In very advanced cases, the first treatment of patients occurs when entire "clusters" of protruding saphenous veins are already clearly visible on both legs. Subsequently, they can turn into blood clots and ulcers, the treatment of which can take decades.
It is not absolutely proven that varicose veins are transmitted at the genetic level, but often the development of the disease is observed in relatives of different generations.
The most serious complication of varicose veins in the lower limbs is thrombophlebitis, in which a blood clot forms in the vein.
The disease is characterized by inflammation, which can cause a blood clot to separate from the vessel wall. And this is the cause of thromboembolism of the pulmonary arteries, namely, a detached blood clot, when it enters the vessels of the lungs, clogs them and disrupts the respiratory system. With such an unfavorable course of events, the risk of death is high.
Causes and symptoms of varicose veins
Varicose veins on the legs, according to various medical authorities, arise under the influence of many factors, but several main aspects can be identified with certainty:
- the main of them can be called heredity with certainty. If one of your relatives, for example, parents or grandparents, had varicose veins in their legs, the risk that the disease will not pass you is extremely high. It should be noted that it doesn't matter where your loved ones were diagnosed with the disease;
- besides hereditary factors, unfavorable working and living conditions in general, as well as the presence of bad habits, play a huge role. Specifically, it is sedentary work or, conversely, work associated with weightlifting, fashionable but uncomfortable clothes and shoes, self-contempt and laziness in consulting a phlebologist;
- For women, the risk period is pregnancy. It is during the birth of a child that changes occur in a woman's body that can cause varicose veins. Not only the growing weight of the expectant mother and the changes inside her body, but also the process of childbirth itself, when the venous load reaches its peak, have a huge negative effect on the vessels. It is noted that in half of women, it is at this time that varicose veins appear, which previously did not cause discomfort.
On specialized sites on the Internet you can see photos of how varicose veins in men and women on the legs negatively transform a person, and what ignorance about the problem looks like. Many people ask the question: "What to do with varicose veins? " Below we will talk about the main methods of treatment and prevention of the disease.
The first and first symptoms indicating varicose veins of the lower extremities are as follows:
- feeling of heaviness in the legs, especially after a long walk or uncomfortable shoes;
- moderate pain after a day's work;
- increased human fatigue.
These signs are somewhat similar to other diseases - flat feet, problems with arteries and lumbar osteochondrosis. That is why it is important to turn to a vascular specialist in a timely manner, since self-treatment without the correct diagnosis is often fraught with unpleasant consequences.
Methods of diagnosis and treatment of varicose veins of the lower extremities
To diagnose varicose veins of the lower extremities, you need to consult a specialist who will prescribe a number of necessary tests and procedures.
We emphasize that varicose veins of the lower extremities are not just a cosmetic defect, and if even slight discomfort occurs, you should immediately consult a doctor.
The effectiveness of the entire treatment process depends on the early diagnosis of the disease. To detect varicose veins, a phlebologist can refer the patient to a Doppler ultrasound, aimed at identifying the quality of blood flow in the vessels, as well as the presence of obstacles in its path. The second method of diagnostic measures is transillumination, which consists in highlighting the veins on two legs with a special light, which allows the doctor to easily identify the damage. Early disease detection is the key to faster and less complicated treatment.
In the conditions of modern realities, medicine offers various treatment options for varicose veins in the legs. Damaged sections of the leg veins can be functionally removed, and in the early stages of varicose veins of the lower extremities, as a rule, do not require surgical intervention. We will see the most commonly used:
- ointments, gels and various preparations called veinotonics. At the initial stage of the disease, they have a positive calming effect, relieve heaviness in the legs, but it should be understood that the results achieved require a long exposure time. Active substances enter the body through the skin and have an effect only on superficial veins. For greater effectiveness, the specialist prescribes drugs aimed at strengthening the walls of blood vessels, improving blood circulation and relieving pain;
- another method is sclerotherapy. This medical intervention is aimed at "gluing" small vessels and eliminating "spiders". The doctor injects a drug into the vessel, which, as it were, "welds" the vascular walls, which then leads to the formation of a strand, and the glued vein resolves over time. The procedure does not require anesthesia and the whole process takes no more than 15 minutes.
- to seal large vessels, the laser coagulation method is used. For its implementation, local anesthesia is used. This happens by inserting an LED into a vein in the leg, which emits laser radiation that heats the blood cells that brew the vessel. The healed area also resolves over time;
- in some cases, an operation - phlebectomy may be prescribed. This is now one of the most effective ways to eliminate varicose veins of the lower extremities. The patient is allowed to go home the day after the procedure, but he must follow certain measures. These include wearing special underwear or bandaging the legs for a month.
- Ozone therapy is one of the latest methods of treating varicose veins of the lower limbs. Its main purpose is the fight against vascular "asterisks". Using a small needle, ozone is injected into the damaged area on two legs and causes the vessel to stick together. To notice the positive dynamics, a few procedures are enough.
Prevention of varicose veins
The main and immutable rule for preventing varicose veins on the legs is movement. With a sedentary lifestyle and work, it is necessary to get up at least every hour and warm up, ideally - for a walk. In the absence of such an opportunity, at least standing, rolling from heel to toe.
If prescribed by a doctor, do not neglect the wearing of specialized compression garments. If weather conditions are not favorable for wearing knitwear, it is recommended to carry out evening hardware procedures for electromyostimulation. To do this, in almost any pharmacy you can buy a special device.
If you have to take a flight, a simple leg self-massage can help your veins survive it. Pat, pinch and rub lightly to "disperse" blood and clear congestion.
Fashionistas can be advised not to overdo it with "hairpins". If your life cannot do without them, try to prioritize and, if possible, in the office or on the street, give preference to more comfortable shoes. For the female body, 4 cm high heels are ideal. High heels cause abnormal arching of the feet and cause malnutrition in the toes, which also causes varicose veins on the fingers.
Also do not neglect the old method of hardening, if it is difficult for you to fully stand in a cold shower, then you can limit yourself to watering your legs, which will have a positive effect on vascular tone.
Listen to the signals your legs are sending you and take timely and systematic action to prevent varicose veins, this will increase the likelihood that you will never have to resort to surgery. And from the veins you will feel only reliability and health.